Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...

To: Donald Chester <k4kyv@hotmail.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ARRL to FCC...
From: Tom Thompson <tlthompson@qwest.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 14:29:02 -0600
Don,

Your advice is right on. One of the growers that I built filters for offered to introduce me to other growers if they were interfering with my radio.

Tom   W0IVJ

On 7/24/2014 1:42 PM, Donald Chester wrote:
We in the "legal grow" states thank you, and the ARRL for testing and
reporting those offending lights! Here is an example as to why your
tests will help...

It is a real mess in my local area right now-- as soon as one grow
operation gets quiet, another starts making RFI...

Until the FCC bans the import of all RFI generating lights, and enforce
that ban, our only real hope is what you and the ARRL are doing to get
the items banned as far upstream as possible...

Those of us in "illegal grow" states might actually be at a substantial
advantage.

I personally couldn't care less what kind of plants a neighbour is growing on his own
property, especially for his own use; that's his business and I'm certainly not going to
call the cops over what I "suspect" might be something illegal, unless he is
making an obnoxious nuisance of himself or posing a clear threat to the safety of those
who have to live around him.

If his grow lights are spewing RFI all over the neighbourhood, he would likely
want to be the first to know, and take immediate steps to correct the problem,
since that's like having a flashing beacon on top of your house, and usually
attracting attention is the last thing those guys want to do.

If the offender appears approachable, a little explanation of the phenomenon and friendly
reminder, presented in a non-threatening way, should be all it would take. Be sure to
provide information on non-interfering alternatives if you know of anything. If the
people appear non-approachable or you are fearful that they may be Mob types and you are
afraid to let them know you are aware of their operation, try to communicate the facts
anonymously. Maybe write up a short letter and drop it in their letterbox or mailbox, or
send it by mail. I would include multiple copies that they could share with cohorts, with
plenty of documentation. If word gets around within the "growing" community,
you can be sure they will be more interested in cleaning up their RFI act than any ham
who lives next door.

These folks communicate with each other as does any other special interest group. If we
could somehow instil factual information on their websites and speciality publications,
demand for RFI-prone lights would disappear overnight, and "RF invisibility"
would become a sought-after feature, especially if they thought law-enforcement people
might be aware of this phenomenon. If the amateur community can instil a demand for clean
grow lights, this would inevitably carry over to the legal use as well.

Fight fire with fire; you and the offenders have a strong common interest in
cleaning up the RFI. This will likely work much more quickly than complaining
to the FCC, which should be a last resort, and which could possibly put you in
greater danger than by trying to work with them and get them to willing
co-operate.

Let's take advantage of this window of opportunity.

Don, k4kyv