[RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] RF getting into 4-port wirelss router
From: "Kenneth Goodwin" <krgoodwin@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 12:24:40 -0600
Here is another area to check if it is applicable.  One high probability
failure mode for me has been the coax drop from the power pole's fiber optic
cable to the house.  When the coax (75 ohm double shield RG-62??) starts to
go bad, I start to see dropped packets which I view at the connection to the
house network.  I forget what DOS command (netstat ??) displays the
connection statistics in real time but one could conceive that if the coax
was going south, it could easily allow RF into the line which would cause
havoc with the router(s).  The failure mechanism has been water ingress into
the cable because of a break in the outer cover or more likely a rube
goldberg coax connection that is allowing water into the coax.  The last
replacement (Comcast lowest bid subcontracted installer) put the cable 0.2
inches under the ground so I suspect it has a lifetime of 6 months.  My very
first drop was put in the hole dug for the 200 Amp underground electric
service which was about 5 feet deep and lasted for 10 years until the grass
cutting team next door weed whacked the coax connection at the bottom of the
power pole.  Ken K5RG