Re: [RFI] Query for the group.

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] Query for the group.
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <k8ri@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2015 20:14:03 -0400
I have a router that will hit 1.3 Gbs on the 5GHz band. Only 300 Mbs on the 4 Gig band. If it weren't for so many networks in the area, I could actually run faster in wireless than my CAT Gbs wired network. At least it doesn't have the competition on 5 gig that it does on 4 gig.

At times (late at night) I see 115 MBs (920 Mbs) transfer rates which is darn good as that signal has to make it through 4 plaster and wood walls (one with vinyl siding), and one window. I'm thinking of going to directive antennas at each end. I'd like to avoid the latency in a repeater.

The only CAT-5 left are 2 24 TB servers and this computer connected to the router with about 8' of CAT-5 each. So far I've been very fortunate as I have no RFI ingress or egress with the CAT-5 "that I can find" with the spectrum analyzer from 1.8 through the 440 band and that was with three 130' and one ~30' CAT-5

My worry about all those long, CAT-5 runs is induced voltage from lightening, which has been expensive and time consuming to fix.

OTOH it's a bit disheartening to come in and see transfer rates running at less than 10 MBs. I just have to hope it's the competition and not something wrong.

So, take heart. There is some good wireless gear out there and it is continuing to get better. I'm using a Netgear Blackhawk X6 Router. The two drawbacks are multiple networks and the inability to use a multi port switch. Speed is pretty dismal during prime time, but great later.

Actually the X6 worked wireless to the shop when the router was in the basement for about a 100' run, but nothing like the speed it gets, line-of-sight from up here.

73

Roger (K8RI)