Re: [RFI] What I use to find Interference Sources

To: "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] What I use to find Interference Sources
From: "Frank N. Haas KB4T" <utility.rfi.pro@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 16:02:00 -0400
David:

The Radar Engineers receiver is optimized for pulse noise reception. The
receiver features a small LCD "spectrum scope" that
 allows the operator to see the pattern of the interference signal. With
the push of one button a snapshot of the scope screen can be saved to
memory (only one image can be stored at a time.) When searching, the saved
image can be called up to compare it to what may be seen along the search
route.

The receiver also has an RF amplifier that can be turned on and off along
with an adjustable RF Gain control that functions like an attenuator. The
signal strength indicator reads 0 to 100. The RF Gain control is used (as
I'm sure you are aware) to keep the signal strength reading about midscale
to allow changes in level to be observed easily.

The receiver comes with a 1000 Dernier nylon case with neck strap. The
operator can hang the receiver in front adjust controls with one hand while
swinging the directional antenna with the other.

The receiver battery is pretty robust and will provide several hours of
operation. Truthfully I have never used the receiver for more than one
hour.

Some of my colleagues will set their Radar Engineers receiver on the dash
of their vehicle and use it much like I use the IC-7000. I haven't done
that as I am very comfy with the 7000 and it does the job well.

73,

Frank N. Haas KB4T
Utility Interference Investigator
Florida