Re: [RFI] ebay line filters

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] ebay line filters
From: "KD7JYK DM09" <kd7jyk@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 19:08:39 -0700
: I missed that post, but I'll respond now. The reason is VERY simple. The
: noise is NOT a differential signal, so filters don't work to kill it. It
: is a COMMON MODE signal, which causes common mode current on the AC
: line, so you need a COMMON MODE CHOKE to kill the current. The current

The odd part is, to me, anyway, the noise was extremely limited until I
added the filters.
No filter, little noise, filter at the source, major noise on the previously
quiet wiring.

At that time I didn't have ferrite to play with.  I have since found a
source and I'm getting a handful a week of various types and configurations
for about 25 cents a piece.  I've had good luck so far with a few things but
haven't done the previous experiment yet.  Will do later.

What I'm finding I need more than HF chokes is a source of clamp on VHF
chokes.  Seems these LED lights I bought are silent at HF because they
obliterate FM broadcast.

Kurt