Re: [RFI] impedance mismatching in coax

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] impedance mismatching in coax
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 15:44:18 -0800
Some thoughts to help understand the physics behind Frank's observations. First, ferrites are a semiconductor, and act as a dielectric, so causes there to be capacitance between windings, even when the windings are widely separated on the ferrite core (which is the configuration that provides the least capacitance between windings). When the two windings are bifilar, as is often done, the capacitance is MUCH greater.

I've done neither measurements nor calculations to study the difference. But since the mu of the ferrite cores we use for transformers are much much greater than 1, virtually all the flux from one winding on a toroid couples to the other, so I've always viewed the practice of bifilar windings to be misguided simply because it does greatly increase the interwinding capacitance.

I'd love to hear from anyone who might have done experimental work to put numbers to it.

73, Jim K9YC