[RFI] Solar Panel RFI Update @ K2MO - New Optimizers Installed By Solar

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI Update @ K2MO - New Optimizers Installed By Solar City
From: Tony <dxdx@optonline.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2017 17:01:35 -0500
All:

The crew from Solar City arrived today to fix the RFI emanating from my neighbors solar panel installation. The Field Tech said that they would be replacing the old optimizers with ones made in Europe which have better shielding.

Unfortunately, the interference is worse than it was before. In addition to the 3 khz wide noise occurring every 10 khz, there are now sharp carriers every 10 to 15 kHz.

As the crew swapped the Optimizers, I could see the interference change while monitoring the Flex Radio panadapter. The system was turned off at the time, but the Optimizers get their power from the solar panels so they work regardless of whether the system is on or not. Interestingly enough, the additional carriers appeared after the system was turned back on.

I discussed Tony Brock Fishers article with the Field Tech and gave him a copy. He agreed that chokes need to be applied as Tony did so we'll see what Solar Edge comes up with. Solar City (the installer) presented Tony Fishers article to Solar Edge (the manufacturer), but they went with the Optimizer swap instead.

I made a few time-stamped screenshots of the spectrum showing the interference before the crew arrived and after they completed the installation. I also sent the company a screenshot that shows how the noise vanishes after sundown when the solar panels no longer provide energy to the optimizers. These were sent to the installer as well.

Will keep everyone posted on the outcome.

Tony -K2MO