Re: [RFI] Fwd: FCC is Actively Seeking Solar Array Interference Complain

To: Group RFI <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Fwd: FCC is Actively Seeking Solar Array Interference Complaints
From: "Hare, Ed W1RFI" <w1rfi@arrl.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 15:18:37 +0000
I am not sure that I'd characterize the FCC as "actively seeking complaints."
In our experience, they are not looking to take on any  more work. The
interference report form is more of an information gathering tool.

The reports ARRL has received have been all over the map, ranging from "no
interference" to "I interfere with my own station" to "my neighbor has a solar
panel and I have (some) or (a lot) of noise.

The issues are complex, and some "solar-panel RFI" has been tracked down to be
something else, so cause and effect can be tricky at best.

Many installations appear to be mostly noise free, so we are trying to
understand just what is going on.

If you do have solar-panel RFI, please do also report it to rfi@arrl.org.  We
need the following:

Name:
Call sign:
Location:
Description of interference:
Noise levels on S meter (preamp off, SSB mode, ~3 kHz filter)
Antenna type:
Distance from antenna to offending house electrical wiring:
Name of solar company:
Contact info, if available:
Model numbers of solar equipment.

This will accomplish a few things.  We will often be able to offer some advice,
and may be able to put you in contact with local hams who can help.  We can use
an actual RFI case as a good reason to contact manufacturers, to see if we can
get them to implement cures and service bulletins. We can also get a handle on
what works, what makes  noise and figure out the worst offenders.

Ed Hare, W1RFI
ARRL Lab Manager
IEEE EMC Society Standards Development and Education Committee
IEEE EMC Society Vice President of Standards