[RFI] FCC action against Solar City

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: [RFI] FCC action against Solar City
From: "Jim Spears" <n1nk@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 16:21:16 -0400
Everyone should be aware that multiple installation companies use SolarEdge
based hardware.  Solar City is only one of some number between 1 and many.

There appear to be multiple technologies involved in these solar panel
systems.  Some generate little to no RFI but others like the SolarEdge based
systems are prolific generators of RFI.  I have a SolarEdge based system
installed by Sungevity and it, initially, was a prolific generator of RFI.
I have a close neighbor with a different system and I cannot tell that it is
active.

Tony Brock-Fisher, K1KP, documented in QST a solution to SolarEdge based RFI
where ferrite cores were added in numerous places throughout the system.  I
implemented Tony's approach in my own system during the installation phase
and am pleased with the results as is Tony with his system.

It is far easier to cure this problem during the installation phase on one's
own system where we have some degree of freedom and leverage over the
installer ($$$).  In my case, I had made the down payment before
installation started.  As soon as the problem appeared, I told the company
that this was unsatisfactory and that either the RFI was to be eliminated or
the equipment was to be removed.  Here I had financial leverage.

This caused Sungevity to go through an internal process and we negotiated a
cost sharing arrangement.

It is fair to say that Sungevity was completely unaware of this issue and
the impact on the ham radio community.  After my system was modified, it is
fair to say that they became aware of the issue and what is required to
mitigate it.  Whether or not they chose to do anything about any other
system is unknown.

It is also fair to say that forcing a third party, neighbor for example, and
their installer to mitigate RFI is and will be a challenge.

I am encouraged that the FCC did look into the problem and issued a citation
to Solar City.  I am not encouraged by the probability of success at
mitigating RFI across many installed and yet to be installed systems.

Jim Spears

N1NK

Tiverton, Rhode Island