Re: [RFI] New Larger Fair-Rite #31 Toroid

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] New Larger Fair-Rite #31 Toroid
From: Larry Benko <xxw0qe@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2017 18:28:08 -0600
Dave,

You might be surprised how accurate the following formula is:

Toroid effectiveness is proportional to
   permeability*log(OD/ID)*length

This is not an absolute number and it works for both donut and cylinder shapes so the units do not matter as long as you are consistent. The larger toroids will allow larger diameter wires but will end up with a longer winding length reducing the self resonant frequency some.

Also this big #31 toroid is not new as I sampled some about 5 years ago and then bought 10 more directly from FairRite. I have found over the years that they make many parts that are not in their catalog.

Larry, W0QE