Re: [RFI] Daisy chain vs Common Ground in Shack

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Daisy chain vs Common Ground in Shack
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2017 18:08:37 -0700
On Wed,6/7/2017 2:55 PM, Sean Waite wrote:
Hi Jim,

I was hoping you might respond. I've read a lot of your slides and papers and have started sharing them out (along with W1HIS's article on chokes) when people ask about RFI. I saw that book, but wasn't sure if there was much in there about RF grounding that wasn't already available on your site. I may have to pick up a copy, I have a few other grounding questions that it might answer.

Everything I've read of yours makes a lot of sense, the only reason I questioned it was because it strays directly against conventional wisdom. Considering how many hams consider RFI and grounding to be some sort of magic, it's not terribly surprising that there is bad information out there. Just today I saw a thread with someone recommending that when men have to answer the "call of nature" that they go out and periodically water the ground rod to increase the soil salinity and conductivity.

Is there ever a case where the star bond is the correct one?

There is FAR more to my tutorial (and to Ward's book) than how equipment is bonded in the shack. ALL of it is important.

Is there an evidence based counter to the methods you suggest?

Not that I know of. My recommendations, as well as Ward's, are based on the total picture -- power, lightning, fire and personal safety, audio, RFI, and all sorts of other systems.

Given the thoroughness of your research and the implied backing of the ARRL through NOAX's book, it seems like daisy chaining really is the right way to go though. If I'm reading your slides correctly, you recommend stripping the braid off of the coax linking devices like the transceiver, tuner, and switches? Does this remove the need for common mode chokes on the same pieces of coax?

I don't know where you got that idea. The answer is NO. What I DO recommend is using braid stripped from coax for indoor bonding. Ward does NOT recommend that, because he feels that the copper is more likely to oxidize when exposed to air (rather than remaining inside the insulation provided by the coax jacket). When I use braid in that manner, I usually enclose it in heat shrink to minimize that possibility.

It's taken me a few readthroughs of your material to digest it, and I had everything in the shack disconnected anyway so it was a good time to redo the ground.

73, Jim

The great part about this hobby is that there is always more learning to do. Thanks for the reply,
Sean WA1TE