[RFI] Turn off the whole house to locate noise sources?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: [RFI] Turn off the whole house to locate noise sources?
From: garyk9gs <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 14:19:27 -0500
I have a question regarding the "turn off the whole house" recommendation.
Before doing so, do you search all of the ham bands looking for noise, say in
conjunction with the P3 set to wide span? Or do you look at the whole spectrum
from the AM bcb to 30 mHz?
I have a pretty quiet location but I still want to eliminate the noise
offenders in my own  house.
And then repeat after the main breaker is turned off?
I suppose it makes sense to do the low bands during the daytime and the higher
bands at night when thrre are fewer real signals?
One other question regarding switch mode power supplies like cell phone
chargers and laptop power supplies.   If the are plugged into the wall but not
connected to, say a phone, is that good enough or should they actually be
supplying current to a device?

73-Gary K9GS