Re: [RFI] Turn off the whole house to locate noise sources?

To: garyk9gs <garyk9gs@wi.rr.com>, "rfi@contesting.com" <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Turn off the whole house to locate noise sources?
From: Stuart Phillips <stu@ridgelift.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2017 19:32:09 +0000
Gary,

The switchers will generate RFI regardless of whether pulling current or not –
however, expect the RF signature to change somewhat under load depending on the
design of the unit.  My experience is all switchers generate some level of RFI
– the real question is whether it affects frequencies on which you are
operating and the strength of the RFI.

My antenna/tower is about 300 feet from the house.  When I beam directly at the
house, on some bands, the entire noise floor rises a dB or so – plus signals I
don’t hear/see emerge out of the noise.  Most I live with – the really bands
ones lead to a hunt and destroy mission!

Stu K6TU

On 10/22/17, 12:19 PM, "RFI on behalf of garyk9gs" <rfi-bounces@contesting.com