Re: [RFI] I would like to compile a list of zero RFI solar power systems

To: rfi@contesting.com, Randy Standke <r55stan@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] I would like to compile a list of zero RFI solar power systems that hams own
From: Mike NA6MB <na6mb.mike@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2018 21:54:08 -0700
Hi Randy -

We have a Sunny Boy inverter fed by high voltage DC from the panels.
No roof inverters.

Mike
NA6MB

On 7/2/2018 7:42 PM, Randy Standke wrote:
Hello fellow hams,

I am giving a talk on ham radio and solar power to a ham radio club in just
over a week.  I am specifically looking for brand names and types of
inverters that hams own themselves, and are happy with from a RFI
standpoint.  And, it would also be useful for the brands and types that did
generate RFI as originally installed.

My talk will consist of two parts: 1 - solar power for yourself.  2 -
identifying RFI signals, locating the house, and reporting RFI generating
solar systems in your neighborhood.

I have plenty of material for the Part 2 part due to the continuing
popularity of one particular brand of solar power system in my neighborhood.

However, my only experience with a RFI free solar power system is my own.
That system has no switching circuitry on the roof, and a Fronius inverter
at ground level.

I expect the safest route is to do what I did and keep all switching
circuitry off of the roof.  So, are there other brands of inverters (than
Fronius) that some of you know of that are RFI free?  Also, the single
ground mounted inverter plan does come with a back up option.  That being if
there is some RFI, a single filter at both ends will probably fix it.
However, the goal is solar power, zero RFI,  no need for modifications.

The second solar power system I know of is micro inverters.  However, now
you have a lot of switching circuitry on the roof, much closer to your
antenna, and if you have noise a fix won't be easy.  If any of you have
micro inverters, what is your RFI experience and what is the brand?

The third option are the systems with DC/DC converters (optimizers) on each
panel.  For now, this one gets a "just say no."  As far as I know, these all
generate a lot of RFI and I am not aware of a case where it was completely
solved after much modification to the wiring and addition of ferrite.  Maybe
future improvements will change my opinion.  Or, reports of a specific brand
that was RFI free as originally installed.

Thanks in advance,

73,

Randy KQ6RS

Thanks,