Re: [RFI] FCC Compliance and Enforcement

To: <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] FCC Compliance and Enforcement
From: "Ed K0iL" <eddieedwards@centurylink.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2018 18:44:30 -0500
Remember the old days when the old TV sets had no filtering and the ham
causing the interference had to cease operations during prime time TV hours
until the problem was resolved?  Ever wonder why the FCC didn't force all
TVs to be properly filtered to not be susceptible to out-of-band RF signals?
Simple.  It's money.

The cost to properly redesign and filtering all the TV sets would've cost
much more than adding individual high-pass filters only where needed making
that a much lower costs because not every TV set sits next to a ham station.

This is the same issue in reverse.  FCC will never force solar power vendors
to redesign and add costly filters to every solar system when fewer than
0.1% of them will be installed near a ham radio operator's station.

Problem is, this will eventually kill most mobile HF operation in cities.

Best we can hope for is to have the FCC send threatening "shutdown" letters
to the vendors every time a new system is installed next to a ham radio
operator.

One thing we can do before that might help; contact all our nearby neighbors
(if ham friendly) and discuss this issue of solar RFI with them before they
purchase a new system.  Ask if they could include you in the initial
discussions with the vendor so the proper equipment is installed up front or
shut off until RFI is resolved.  I know this isn't an easy solution, but the
alternative is an RFI battle that could be prolonged every time a new system
is installed.

It's time for another cul-de-sac barbeque on Larimore Circle!

73, de ed -K0iL