Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI in Kings Park, NY - Update

To: "'Tony Brock-Fisher'" <barockteer@aol.com>, "'Edward Mccann'" <edwmccann@yahoo.com>, <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Solar Panel RFI in Kings Park, NY - Update
From: "Randy Standke" <r55stan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2018 14:48:31 -0700
A new SolarEdge system 190 feet from my house spread very strong RFI all
over the 20 meter band the day the roof panels went up.  These signals had a
"squiggly" sound and look on a SDR waterfall.  This was well before the
system was completed and operational.  It was just from the power the
optimizers receive from the panels.  The system was not making power at that
time.  The "every 200 kHz" signals came on strong once the system was making
power, and all the "squiggly" signals remained strong.  Some good examples
can be seen on Dave Cole's NK7Z at https://www.nk7z.net/solar-2/  My three
examples are just under the "More Solar Edge Systems." line.  As Tony
Brock-Fisher describes, it takes lots of ferrites and twisted wires to quiet
these systems down.  In addition, if they do rework the system and miss even
one optimizer you will still have strong RFI.  One (of the seven and
counting) reworked SolarEdge systems in my neighborhood took four visits
from the installer until they finally got it right.

73,

Randy KQ6RS