Re: [RFI] Electric clothes dryer RFI?

To: steve65@suddenlink.net
Subject: Re: [RFI] Electric clothes dryer RFI?
From: David Eckhardt <davearea51a@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2018 16:22:45 +0000
We have the industrial line from Maytag, both washer and dryer.  Both
produce RFI.  However, remember that the duty cycle is quite low if you
don't have kids.  We run them typically once a week and, yes, they do
interfere with my radio astronomy efforts on the higher HF frequencies.
While shopping for a replacement unit to your 1973 unit (well before all
the embedded Chinese SMPS's hit all the appliances), I'd strongly advise
you take a battery powered radio with you to at least gain some idea of the
impact of interference from various units.

While shopping for a replacement TV for our new home (out of the High Park
Fire here in N. COlorado), I took my portable spectrum analyzer to the
stores to frisk various units.  Of course, I had to show the sales people
how bad all the Plasma TV's truly are.  Hopefully, those have died a
peaceful and permanent death!

Dave - WØLEV

On Sat, Nov 24, 2018 at 3:10 PM Steve65 <steve65@suddenlink.net> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> The Sears Kenmore electric clothes dryer I bought in 1973 has failed. I
> need to replace it. I never heard a whimper of RFI from my old dryer.
> Are current model dryers a source of RFI about which I should be concerned?
>
> This list has discussed RFI sources such as HVAC, washing machines, LED
> bulbs and solar power systems. I don't recall anything about electric
> clothes dryers. Is that because electric clothes dryers are not a
> significant RFI issue?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Steve, K8JQ

*Dave - WØLEV*