Re: [RFI] Another Solar Panel Interference Case

To: Rfi List <rfi@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RFI] Another Solar Panel Interference Case
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2022 14:48:31 -0700
What many hams continue to miss is that for about the last 20 years, the MF and HF noise floor has increasing been dominated NOT by that generated by the power system, but by switch-mode power supplies, power control electronics, and solar systems. when I moved from Chicago to NorCal in 2006 in the midst of a solar minima, I could EU several nights a year on CW. Over the past 5-6 years, also a solar minima, and with slightly improved antennas, I've HEARD about six CW signals from EU, and only two heard me. Now I can work EU only using WSJT modes, and I worked none this season. The difference is increased noise on both ends of the QSO, and that FT8 can work about 10 dB deeper into the noise than CW with great ops on both ends.

73, Jim K9YC