RTTY

[RTTY] which rtty terminal unit should I use?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] which rtty terminal unit should I use?
From: w7ti@dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 06:36:06 -0700
On Fri, 10 May 2002 03:32:01 -0700, Van K7VS wrote:

>Can someone give me
>an idea what I should be using these days for a rtty reception platform.

If you can, set up two computers side by side and fed with the same
audio so you can make comparisons.  I've been doing that for years and
whenever I've compared RiTTY by K6STI against another program or TNC,
RiTTY always came out on top in its ability to pull signals out of the
noise.  A very, very, close second is MMTTY by JE3HHT, which has the
side benefit of being FREE!  Get it at:
http://www.qsl.net/mmhamsoft/mmtty/

RiTTY has the disadvantage (besides cost) of requiring a very specific
soundcard and only running with full capabilities in DOS full-screen
mode.  MMTTY runs under any version of Windows from 95 up and is not
particular as to soundcards.  On my computer I have a generic
on-motherboard sound system which runs MMTTY fine (WinXP), but RiTTY
flat will not run on it.

For contesting, I run RiTTY on a second computer (no transmit, listen
only) with MMTTY and WriteLog on the main computer.  What RiTTY misses,
MMTTY usually catches and vice versa.  If there's a signal that neither
one can demodulate, it's pretty much hopeless anyway.  :-)

Those who have a Hal ST-8000 say it is the equal of RiTTY, but I've
never had one ($$$) so I can't say.

Hope this helps.  Experimenting with different TNC's and programs is
half the fun of RTTY for me.  Enjoy!

73, Bill W7TI