Re: [SD-User] SD & My New iMac Computer

To: sd-user@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [SD-User] SD & My New iMac Computer
From: Ian Greenshields <ian.greenshields@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 07:37:57 +0100
The programme you need to run Windows software on the Mac (or linux)
is Wine, all details at www.winehq.org

I use SD on a linux system with Wine and it works fine. Some years ago
I posted a how to on this list which should still be in the archives
if you search for linux & wine.

The difference between Wine and Bootcamp or Parallels is that you
don't a need copy of Windows, but it does take more effort to set up.
Bootcamp is basically a dual boot method so you boot the Mac either
into Windows or into OS X. Parallels integrates OS X and Windows into
one screen so you can have OS X and Windows software running side by
side. Parallels is the cleanest option, but also the most expensive as
you will need to buy both Windows and Parallels. Wine is free.

The basic steps are: 1. Download and install Wine on the Mac, 2.
Download and install SD on to .wine/drive_c, which is created when you
set up Wine. 3. Set up SD.

73 Ian G4FSU