CMOS III...I'm a believer now.

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: CMOS III...I'm a believer now.
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 1996 14:02:41 -0400 (EDT)

> It said you can program the QSK delay into this keyer so that it compensates
> for the lag time on the QSK.  Does anyone out there know what the QSK delay
> is on a Omni V?  Being a CW rig to begin with, is the delay even noticable?

I don't think "delay" is the issure. It's character clipping that we
should be concerned with. This clipping results in shorter than the actual
key closure. That is not a concern in the TenTec equipment. There is a
delay between the time that the key is closed and RF is generated but it
is made up for by continuing the the RF after the key is opened.

Most of the imported rigs clip the RF and require extra weight from the
keyer. What is needed is a keyer that can produce a heavy weight but not
sound like that in it's sidetone. Maybe that's what the CMOS 3 does. I'm
not sure. 73

Steve Ellington N4LQ@IGLOU.COM  Louisville, Ky