RTTY

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: RTTY
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 1996 16:07:07 -0400 (EDT)
The C21 is a cw only rig. Some means of shifting the frequency is needed
(FSK). Using any ssb rig, one could simply feed the audio tones from the
TNC into the microphone circuit. Almost any SSB transceiver or seperates
could be used. 500hz selectivity would be preferred but an audio filter
could be used. You might consider looking for a Triton 4. You would need
an external audio filter for it though since it's cw filter is fixed tuned
for 700hz pitch. Also consider older rigs such as the TS-520, 530 and many
others. Pay attention to the duty cycle of your final amplifier and power
supply capability. Most of the tube type transceivers require a
considerable power reduction when used for fsk. Extra cooling for the
Triton 4 would be needed if full power was to be run.

I feel you should be able to get up on RTTY for less than $350 (for the
rig).

Steve Ellington N4LQ@IGLOU.COM  Louisville, Ky

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.html