[TenTec] 1980's VHF handhelds

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 1980's VHF handhelds
From: sales@tentec.com (Ten-Tec, Inc.)
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 1997 11:56:48 Eastern Daylight Time
At 09:24 AM 6/13/97 -0500, you wrote:

>It is a 2 meter FM portable - I have one I bought at the ARRL National
>Convention in NYC when Owen Garriot, W5LFL, was the main speaker.  Mine
>still works fine, but found out it's not on TT's trade-in list when I
>bought my Omni VI last year.  Seems that the microprocessor in the HT is
>obsolete so when it dies, the radio becomes a paperweight.  TT still sold
>battery packs for them as of a year ago when I got a new one.  I was told
>that TT did not actually build the HT, but bought it from another
>manufacturer.  The model number was a 4 digit one - something like 2519.  I
>have a manual and other paperwork and could look up some details, if anyone
>is interested.
>Stan, W9JX (was KB9UM til last month)

The model number of the 2M FM HT is 2591, and was in production in the
early 1980's along with its' AM airband handheld sister, the TT920.
Both of these were discontinued in the mid-1980's, and unfortunately the
main microprocessor chip can no longer be purchased by us and we are unable
to repair processor-dead versions for that reason.

The AM airband handheld was originally manufactured by us for Telex, and
marketed by them as model AT920.  After Telex stopped selling their version,
we marketed the same transceiver under the Ten-Tec name as the TT920.  All
three of these (the Telex AT920, Ten-Tec TT920 and 2591) were manufactured
by Ten-Tec.  We continue to service all three units and have battery packs
and wall chargers still in current manufacture, as there are many thousands
of these various units in existence.

73,
Scott Robbins, W4PA
Ten-Tec, Inc., Amateur Radio Sales