[TenTec] this amp thing.... -Reply

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] this amp thing.... -Reply
From: PEPLASTERS@mail.rkd.snds.com (Paul Plasters)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 08:08:59 -0500
Hi All;
  An earlier article mentioned that you could (maybe) purchase an add on
kit for thr ARGO.  If you can buy this addition for your radio, why could
not you make it work as an amplifier for any small output radio?

    o~
  _[-/)_
(_)\/\(=)-ooo...
Ride to live-Live to ride
Paul WA9FFL "wa9ffl@aol.com"

>>> "James C. Owen, III"
<owen%piper.eeel.nist.gov@internet.rkd.snds.com> 08/13/97 08:35am

In message Tue, 12 Aug 1997 16:51:09 -0700,
  Jim Lowman <jmlowman@ix.netcom.com>  writes:

> The above is probably the reason that Ten-Tec offered the Argo (5
watts
 out) for QRP, and the Scout 555 (50 watts out).  The Scout is essentially
the  Argo with a 50-watt RF deck added.  Not sure if Argo owners could
add
the RF  deck  after the fact, but it seems that for about $50-60 more, it
was a  possibility.   For the ham who wasn't sure if he wanted to be
exclusive on QRP, the  Scout,  which could be rolled back to 5 watts or
less, would have been the ticket at  a cost of about $60 more than the
Argo.  > > 73 de Jim - KF6CR

You've hit the nail on the head Jim. The amplifier rule is for "External
Power Amplifiers" and the 50W amp on the Scout is considered part of
the
transceiver. I think that it would be pretty easy to convert an Argo to a
Scout but I doubt that TT built extra amps. It would be more cost effective
to sell the Argo and buy a Scout. 73 Jim K4CGY