[TenTec] Linears

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Linears
From: montaw@inforamp.net (Wayne Montague)
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 1997 19:02:35 -0400
Hello -

'been watching this linear amp thread thing. I obviously don't care
about 'Part 97' being a VE3, but I do have a question .....

Ten Tec's advertising for their 6 meter FM kit state the radio is about
5 watts out. In that ad, they say something like "Sorry, FCC rules....
prohibit .... a power amplifier (for this 6 meter radio)".

I turn to page 35 of the July CQ and there on the bottom is an ad for a
Mirage A-1015G. It even has a chart .... 1 watt in, 22 watts out. 10
watts in, 150 watts out. It obviously is not a very linear 150 watt
linear. Anyway, in the upper left hand corner of this blocked out ad it
says "FCC TYPE ACCEPTED!"

Sooooooooooo, this enquiring mind wants to know ....

1) What gives, Ten Tec?
2) Does the FCC type accept illegal amplifiers?
3) What am I missing here?
4) What is the difference between a Mirage FCC Type Accepted
   amplifier and a Ten Tec amplifier that would be illegal if they
   made one?

Seems mighty strange. SOMETHING doesn't seem to jive here.

Wayne
VE3EFJ