[TenTec] OMNI VI fade out

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI fade out
From: n4lq@iglou.com (Steve Ellington)
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 18:00:18 -0400

Hi Jim. I've traced down some problems like that. Most likely its' a
transistor flakeing out. Your going to have to narrow down the location
of the problem. I would remove the top and bottom covers and wait for it
to die. Then I would inject a signal of the approiate frequency into
each stage beginning with the IF/AF board and work my way back toward
the antenna. When the bad stage is located, you can then attempt to
determine the defective component. Sometimes one can just touch a meter
probe on a lead of the bad part and it will zap back to life. Other
times a shot of circuit cooler will trigger it and help locate the
bugger. Of course I wouldn't discount the posibility of a loose
connector somewhere so it might pay to try reseating them first.

Have fun and don't give up, you'll find it!

Steve N4LQ