[TenTec] Omni-6 Plus DSP vs. Timewave 599zx

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni-6 Plus DSP vs. Timewave 599zx
From: ac5aa@juno.com (Duane A. Calvin)
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 22:02:54 -0500
Peter's reply on DSP is an excellent treatise on the usefulness of that
technology.  Myself, I prefer the JPS NIR-12 to the 599-ZX, though there
is much less difference with that later Timewave model than with the
earlier ones.  I can reiterate what Peter says about the PRIMARY
advantage of DSP - reduction or elimination of white or pink noise
(random noise).  The stuff that just wears you down as you're trying to
chase that weak one, or work that long contest.  DSP is excellent at
that.  In addition, the "NIR" mode of the NIR-12 does well on some less
random types of noise like static crashes, etc., at the expense of some
time delay which makes QSK CW difficult or impossible.  I can also
confirm his comments regarding using DSP to improve selectivity - use rig
filtering when very strong adjacent signals are present.  When separating
signals that are relatively equal in strength, try either DSP, IF
filters, or both.  If your rig has an IF-notch, use that too.  Depending
on conditions and your ears, one or the other (or all) may work better
for you.  All bets are off for SSB; I've found little in the way of
filtering, DSP, or even my IC-765's excellent passband tuning which does
as much as my own "ears."

The best suggestion I have ever heard regarding outboard DSP is to borrow
someone else's and try it out before you buy.  Some are very pleased with
it (like Peter and myself), others think it is a total waste of money.
As a CW op, I wouldn't care to part with mine!

Great conversation on this reflector!

        73,  Duane

Duane A. Calvin, AC5AA
ac5aa@Juno.com -or- duanec@prodigy.net