[TenTec] Pentium and Repair update

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Pentium and Repair update
From: geo@ipass.net (George McCrary)
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 10:48:16 -0800
Hi John and All,

        I don't know if my Pentium is one of the faster ones anymore, but
it seem work fine with a 166 MHz.

        Some of you may remember that my 3 month old VI had developed an
intermittent RX sensitivity problem. Well, two weeks have passed so I'll
bravely say that it is fixed. The symptoms were RX sensitivity dropping to
basically nothing, an S9 signal would be barely audible. Messing with the
bail, the front panel or the front of the top cover would repair it for a
bit, then the same problem again.

        The most common suggestion was loose filters. Loose connectors in
general was the other suggestion. What was the cure? I don't know! Well, I
sort of know. Once I took the top and bottom off, I could not get it to
fail. The filters were "tight as a hair in a biscuit" as our PC layout guy
says. But, I found lot's of loose connectors. Probably close to 20!

        I got the VI during the UPS debacle, so my only guess is that it
took a good jolt from Fed Ex. Almost all the connectors were on the top
side. So dropping the box flat could have done something like that without
obvious damage.

        So, alls well that ends well (I hope!).

                                                Regards,

                                                George (KQ4QM)