[TenTec] Ten Tec / Antenna puzzle

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten Tec / Antenna puzzle
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (NW9G)
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 23:08:18 -0500
At 07:07 PM 12/8/97 -0600, Tom Delker wrote:
>Re: Broadcast interference on the Argosy - high dipole.
>
>I have a similar situation with an Omni D and my high 80/40 dipole.  It
>doesnt happen with the Omni 6.  Bottom line, there is a nearby AM
>broadcast station on 1010Khz 5KW daytime, 500w night that puts a 100mv+
>signal to my radios.  The worst thing is to try and use my MFJ antenna
>analyzer, which is useless.
>
>Imagine it has to do with front end mixing/overload susceptibility of
>the particular radio design.  The solution: spend $38 and purchase an
>ICE broadcast filter.  They make 4 models, (2 high power 300w and 2 low
>power not intended for transmit) with a 1.8Mhz cutoff and the other is
>3.5Mhz cutoff.  I now have high power units in line right after the
>transmitters and of the lower power/receive units on my beverages. I
>believe the rejection is 25-40 db in the 160m band and it gets better as
>you fo up in frequency.  Now I can use my antenna analyzers again and
>the Omni D is happy on the dipole.
>
>As to why only on the dipole, I imagine the other antennas you have are
>higher Q in their respective bands and you will find they dont pass as
>much of the broadcast RF back down the pipe!
>
>--

I also have a Ten Tec Omni D which I did not mention.  It also has no trouble
with this antenna nor does any of about 8 different rigs over the past year
have with it.  Only this argosy.  The nearest broadcast station is over 12
miles
away.  I could not imagine this having any trouble with me.  I also have that
mjf 259 here and I have never had anything like you have had with yours.
( I read those past e-mails about your broadcast troubles)  non of that would
apply here.  I am thinking about buying a new current balun and new coax and
see what happens....any ideas?
Steve