[TenTec] RE: Corsair II & PS Location: myth or fact?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] RE: Corsair II & PS Location: myth or fact?
From: c-hawley@uiuc.edu (Chuck (Jack) Hawley)
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 09:08:18 -0600
--------------AB9D8050592896F970166DC1

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
> Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 12:18:31 -0500 (EST)
> From: dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
> Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II & PS location: myth or fact?
>
> Many myths revolve around issues such as NiCd battery memories, how
> antenna tuners really work, and let's not forget: which side of the
> Corsair II your power supply should be on.
>
> Every now and then, I heard Corsair II fans say that the power supply
> should be located on the left side of the radio, not the right, due
> to some shielding or interference issues, I assume.
>
> I have the #961 supply located on the right side, because when it's on
> the left, I can hear a 60 hertz audio tone through my headphones (the
> headphone jack is located very close to where the supply would sit).
> Filtering out the 60 hertz isn't a good solution, since hearing very
> low frequencies helps with the "spot" function on the radio, and it's
> also just masking the problem.
>
> So, I've got the supply on the right, and so far I see no problems.
> Is there any truth to the supply-on-the-left myth?
>
> Andrew M. Moore, NV1B

If it's 60 Hz, then it sounds like the magnetic field from the
transformer getting into the receiver. I have found that a good soft
iron or steel box is an effective shield for that. If you want to have
the PS on the left, you might try a small sheet of steel the size of the
side panels between the two boxes and see if that reduces the noise
(inside the PS?). It might also be effective to turn the transformer
inside the PS by 90 degrees.......probably impossible after manufacture
(of course this might make if worse).

--
Charles (Jack) Hawley
Chuck....Ham Radio KE9UW

--------------AB9D8050592896F970166DC1

<HTML>

<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>
To: <tentec@contesting.com>
<PRE>Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 12:18:31 -0500 (EST)
From: dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu (Mail Delivery Subsystem)
Subject: [TenTec] Corsair II &amp; PS location: myth or fact?

Many myths revolve around issues such as NiCd battery memories, how
antenna tuners really work, and let's not forget: which side of the
Corsair II your power supply should be on.

Every now and then, I heard Corsair II fans say that the power supply
should be located on the left side of the radio, not the right, due
to some shielding or interference issues, I assume.

I have the #961 supply located on the right side, because when it's on
the left, I can hear a 60 hertz audio tone through my headphones (the
headphone jack is located very close to where the supply would sit).
Filtering out the 60 hertz isn't a good solution, since hearing very
low frequencies helps with the "spot" function on the radio, and it's
also just masking the problem.

So, I've got the supply on the right, and so far I see no problems.
Is there any truth to the supply-on-the-left myth?

Andrew M. Moore, NV1B</PRE>
</BLOCKQUOTE>
If it's 60 Hz, then it sounds like the magnetic field from the transformer
getting into the receiver. I have found that a good soft iron or steel
box is an effective shield for that. If you want to have the PS on the
left, you might try a small sheet of steel the size of the side panels
between the two boxes and see if that reduces the noise (inside the PS?).
It might also be effective to turn the transformer inside the PS by 90
degrees.......probably impossible after manufacture (of course this might
make if worse).
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>--
<BR>Charles (Jack) Hawley
<BR>Chuck....Ham Radio KE9UW
<BR>AKA "Jack" BMW Motorcycles, MOA #224 K100RS
<BR>Wife rides...Viki, MOA #18120 K100RS
<BR>President IBMWR
<BR>c-hawley@uiuc.edu
<BR>Sr. Research Engineer Emeritus
<BR>University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
<BR>&nbsp;</HTML>

--------------AB9D8050592896F970166DC1--