[TenTec] #253 Tuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] #253 Tuner
From: carterg@oeonline.com (Carter Grabarczyk)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 08:54:17 -0800
Jimmy D. Roller wrote:

> I have owned and used the #253 Automatic Antenna Coupler for nearly 2
> years now with an OMNI VI and the Hercules II amplifier. Absolutely no
> problems at all; the box has never been opened.
>
> I have a question. I do not normally turn over equipment frequently and
> have never been a "horse trader" so I guess I'm a bit naive. I often see
> equipment listed as being owned by a non-smoker. I am and have been a
> smoker for more years than a lot of folks have been alive, so I am
> curious. What, specifically, is the attraction of equipment owned by a
> non-smoker? I know that I have blunted my senses of taste and smell, not
> to mention many other more serious side effects, from years of smoking,
> so I may be totally insensitive to the issue. However, I take great
> pride in all things Ten-Tec, keeping all the boxes dusted and cleaned on
> a regular basis. I know that the smoke deposits a brown film on
> everthing over time, but I keep this at bay with regular cleaning with
> Endust for Electronics cleaner. Not only does this product clean like a
> bandit, it has a very pleasnat smell. So...what am I missing? I really
> would like to know. I'm not being facetious or trying to stir up a
> controversy, just curious.
>
> Your comments would be appreciated but, please, no flames (pun
> intended). I know all about my habit, it's bad effects on me and/or the
> folks around me, my weak moral character, etc. It is my choice and my
> life, thank you.
>
> Vy 73, MX/HNY de Jim N4IR
>
> --
Hi, Jim...
Well, even though you say the "box has never been opened", I don't think
that applies as far as smoke is concerned. Being in the gaseous state,
it can find its way inside of equipment very easily. I bought a Ten Tec
Centurion from a smoker and it too "had never been opened" (indeed,
because of the interlocks, it could not operate when open). Yet, when I
had to open the cabinet to do some maintenance, the entire interior was
coated with a yellow film; possibly "what you are misssing" is that
exterior cleaning like you are doing will not keep the film from forming
on the interior.

To state the obvious, the gunk on the inside (and outside for those who
are not as careful as you) is a negative "selling point" for most buyers
and thus why people do
prefer to buy from a non-smoker.

Hope that answers your "curiosity" question at least from my viewpoint,
and yes, I agree-no flame wars please....

73/Carter/K8VT

P.S. I got the Centurion at a really good price  ;-)