[TenTec] Ten-Tec 4229 tuner

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Ten-Tec 4229 tuner
From: nw9g@netusa1.net (NW9G)
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 1997 19:43:56 -0500
At 02:47 PM 12/20/97 -0600, Winston F. Jones wrote:
>I recently bought a used Ten-Tec 4229 2kw tuner. (This is the kit
>version of the 229 tuner).
>
>In the bypass switch position, I can only get a low SWR on my radio if
>I place the roller inductor with the pointer at the far right end of
>the dial. The capacitor tuning has no effect on the SWR in the bypass
>position and I thought that in bypass, the roller inductor should also
>have no effect. However, if the roller inductor pointer is at the left
>side of the scale when in the bypass position, the SWR is way out the
>top - 20 to 1 or more.
>
>Is this normal for the 229 tuner or did someone wire up this 4229
>wrong? Can any of you Ten-Tec tuner owners help me? I am new to this
>tuner type.
>
>73, Winston K4CWQ

I have owned that tuner and now have the 238 (same thing).  In my bypass
position neither the cap nor the inductor settings change any swr.
I would say that something is not wired right or has been hit with alot
of rf at a high swr at sometime.  Open it up and look for any burned
spots inside. I have found that those "bypass" switches can and do go
bad from time to time especially with high power and high swr together.
Look closely at the wafers on that switch.  And yes, possibly wired
wrong from the start.  Good luck and Happy Holidays...Steve

keep Ten Tec'n......NW9G