[TenTec] TT QRP kits

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] TT QRP kits
From: ndavis@vt.edu (Nat Davis)
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 1997 11:28:13 -0500
I built the 40m QRP kit last spring.  It is a great kit and worth every
penny of the $100 is costs!

The kit itself oges together well.  The instruction manual is very thorough
and simple to follow.  Assembly is done in 7 or 8 phases with testing done
after about half of them.  As a result, my kit worked the first time!

In terms of actual operations, I did not expect too much performance from
the radio...  boy was I wrong!  For such an inexpensive radio, the receiver
is pretty darn "hot."  The crystal filter network does a decent job at a BW
of something like 1Khz (am doing this from memory so my specs may be off..).
Transmitter puts out 3-5 watts based on your power supply.  The QSK seems
flawless to me -- very very clean.

I took this rig to the NC beach this past summer.  While my family was out
getting skin cancer on the beach, I operated into a 40m dipole strung around
the deck of the house were were staying in.  I made contacts all up and down
the east coast and well into Canada.  The universal comment I got was that I
did not "sound" like a QRP rig!  I took that as my best indicator of
transmitting performance!

I love my rig.  Hope you decide to buy one and will like yours too.

73,

Nat Davis, N4BTO