[TenTec] 250hz CW filter proposal

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 250hz CW filter proposal
From: tbarnett@fairway.stdio.com (Tyler Barnett)
Date: Fri, 26 Dec 1997 20:35:53 -0500 (EST)
December 26nd, 1997

We are looking for interest within the Ten-Tec community regarding a
lower center-frequency 9Mhz 250hz CW filter.  This filter is the one found
under the NAR button on the OMNI 5/6, or the N1/N2 buttons of the OMNI6+.
It also fits the OMNI B/C, and the Argosy.

The Ten-Tec model 219 is centered at 750hz, which gives a usuable
audio bandwidth from 650hz to 850hz.  If used below 650hz, the loss in the
receiver chain becomes unacceptable.  If your comfortable sidetone
frequency is greater than 650hz, then the standard 219 should work for you.
However, a lot of people (including ourselves) prefer a lower sidetone.

Tom Salvetti at Ten-Tec has offered to take our request for a lower center
frequeny filter to Network Sciences, the longtime source of their filters,
and quote the filter in the quantites we can secure commitments for.
Tom has indicated that 20-30 filters are probably the minimum order that
Network Sciences would take from Ten-Tec.  He roughly estimates the price will
be between $125-$175 each for about 30 filters.  This is of course, just an
estimate, and the larger the quantity, the lower the group price will be.
This is no guarantee, and we should not expect the price to approach the
current filter price of $89, due to the low quantites involved.

Ten-Tec will return the quote to us as soon as Network Sciences does.
Then, those who have indicated their interest need to contact Ten-Tec with
their credit card number to hold their order.  Your card will not be charged.
Once the filters arrive at Ten-Tec from Network Sciences, then they will
charge your card, and ship the filter direct to you.  Our only involvement is
to spread the word and generate as much interest for this potential order as
possible.

Because the filter has a usuable bandwidth of about plus/minus 100hz either
side of center frequency, and the lowest possible sidetone frequency of the
OMNI6 is 400hz, a center frequency of 500hz would be the minimum specification.
This would allow anyone that copies CW between 400-600hz to use the filter
without unacceptable receiver loss.

Obviously, this may not suit everyone, but if you ARE interested in
being quoted a new filter, please send an email to <n4ty@stdio.com> with:
- Quantity desired
- Your choice for center frequency
- Your email address (or way to contact you when necessary)

The majority rules, so the center frequency might have to move up
as far as 550hz, for example, to accomodate everyone.  In reality, the
center frequency would have to be either 500, 525, or 550hz.

We will keep the reflector posted on how this proceeds, and the interest it
generates.  We would like to get the quantity as high as possible.

Yours to lower noise on the Low Bands (at a lower sidetone)....

Regards,
Tyler Barnett N4TY   <n4ty@stdio.com>
Bill Maxson N4AR   <n4ar@ukcc.uky.edu>

P.S.  Please do not contact Network Sciences directly about this filter
proposal, they are best approached through Ten-Tec, and have no interest
in dealing with individuals directly.