[TenTec] 238 tuner on 160? (long)

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 238 tuner on 160? (long)
From: ditzian@greenepa.net (Jan Ditzian)
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 1998 22:04:36 -0500
--------------BE27A44751D99902E5D00FDB

Lara & Mike Pagel wrote:

> Hello all:
>
> I'm looking for a tuner, one that will enable me to cover more of 160
> meters with my dipole and CTSVR antennas.  I have been thinking about
> pouncing on one of the #238 tuners that pop up here from time to time.

Lara and Mike,

I have a Ten-Tec 229 KW manual tuner, and it tunes 160 quite well as long as
you add extra capacitance via the external screw connector on the back.  The
comments you saw about Ten-Tec tuner construction are, unfortunately, pretty
true.

The dial mechanism broke a few times, until I forgot how to do it the right way
and did it my own way, which was simpler.  Now it does not break or slip.

It is possible to run the inductor tuning wheel right past the stop and then
you have to take off the top to fix it.  I am sure that there is a permanent
fix for this as well, but I do not know it.

It is true that everything is nearly invisible without the dial lights.

Nonetheless, I would not sell the tuner.  It tunes almost everything, and, now
that I have developed a light touch on the roller inductor, works every time.

73,
Jan, KX2A

--------------BE27A44751D99902E5D00FDB

begin:          vcard