[TenTec] QRV

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] QRV
From: rohre@arlut.utexas.edu (rohre)
Date: 4 Mar 1998 11:26:43 -0500
Hi,
My take on this was it was done in tube days to avoid the inrush current surge
as the tubes warmed up and to prolong then the power supply component life,
and the tube life.

But today, rigs should be operating at lower voltages, and cooler, (No
filaments to heat, thus to leave them on at all times risks drying out the
capactors in the power supply and electrolytic bypasses.  Also, if you are
leaving it on with the antenna connected, you are risking destruction by
lightning.  In fact, if the power cord is plugged in and even if the radio is
turned off you risk lightning damage from nearby hits or surges.

My take is to leave the rigs off, all power unplugged and feedlines and power
cords and any phone lines AWAY from the operating desk.  This goes for
computer networks as well.  Have your equipment cold and distant from any live
circuit when you are not there to watch for problems or sudden storms.

73, Stuart K5KVH