[TenTec] DSP & COMPUTER NOISE

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] DSP & COMPUTER NOISE
From: reid.w.simmons@intel.com (Simmons, Reid W)
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 11:12:00 -0700
One of my jobs in the PC industry was regulatory compliance testing.
PCs (and their power supplies) must meet FCC and international specs for
both Radiated and Line Induced EMI before being marketed.  Much more
often than not the cheap Asian short run knockoffs cut so many design
corners that they do not, nor ever could meet, the EMI specs.  So those
companies cheat like hell on EMI testing and documentation in order to
get their products to market.  By the time regulatory agencies catch up
to the problem, which is usually many, many months, that product is no
longer being produced (or the company doesn't exist anymore) therefore
no real action is taken.  It then falls on the end user to clean up the
offending emissions.  If one is fortunate enough to have the schematics
it is usually not much of a problem (for a Ham) to determine the cause
or causes.  If not, then your usually shooting in the dark with a
shotgun.

Reid, K7YX