[TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Digest V1 #505

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Re: Ten Tec Digest V1 #505
From: Tony.Lane@nashville.com (TLane)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 98 09:58:28 PDT
Hello,
 Just a friendly short note to the defenders of c.w.  I happen to be a general
class who took the new old fashioned 13 wpm test. Had it not been for a
wonderful extra class ham(WM4N)  who elmered me on cw and encouraged me to
advance my license then I probably would have stayed a tech plus. He even gave
me his personal keyer as a gift to help me forward. I admit that the tests are
easy and minimal in regards to advancing especially compared to the "old days".
And I am not for the current proposal. My question is "How many of you
defending cw have actually took it upon yourselves to "elmer" some of the techs
on cw?" I for one am discouraged that the hobby is decreasing in numbers but
what have I done to help others to upgrade. So before I start defending the old
testing I must examine myself as to what I've done to help others. Maybe we all
should do that. Thanks especially to Bill(WM4N) for his help and encouragment
and now I'm working to get 20 wpm so I can say I did it the old way if this new
proposal passes. Direct your responses to my email address so as not to burden
this reflector. Also thanks to TenTec for repairing my rig after it was
disintegrated by lightning. They did it in a professional manner and very
timely I might add with much concern for me. They were extremely helpful.  73
to all,  KF4JKA     Tony