[TenTec] ARRL Proposal

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ARRL Proposal
From: reid.w.simmons@intel.com (Simmons, Reid W)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 11:17:00 -0700
Well stated Casey.

CW aside, as a VE I have been very surprised by those people who
"struggle" with (and even fail) the written portion of the test, even
though it has been made so incredibly easy now days with the VE program
and all the Q & A books available.  It seems to me applicants should be
able to blow right through the exam and get a perfect score every time.

All of this "easy licensing" of the past many years has produced a lot
of hams that really don't know or understand the technical aspects of
the hobby at all.  How many people out there can fix their own TEN TECs
or whatever?  Technical competence is supposed to be a major part of
what makes up a ham.  For those who don't think so I believe 11 meters
or the new "Family Communications Service" is the place for them and NOT
the ham bands.

Reid, K7YX