[TenTec] ARRL proposal

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] ARRL proposal
From: W7TS@ibm.net (Ken Kinyon)
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 1998 10:04:34 -0600

">Reid, K7YX
>A true Extra, not an "easy Extra (Class A)""
- Dale, AD4YH
"Also a true Extra form back in the "early days of
wireless". (pre-questoin pool)"

To All:
I had made up my mind that I would not post anything regarding this discussion.
However this particular display of arrogance has pushed me over the edge.  I
have been licensed since 1958 and passed my extra class in the late 60's because
of incentive licensing (which by the way created even louder squealing than this
proposal because it took privileges away from some).  There is no reason for
either of you to be proud of the way you got your class of license.  The only
ones who have  a reason to feel pride are those that got their extra class when
it conveyed nothing except a feeling of accomplishment.  In other words before
incentive licensing. ( I'm NOT one of those, by the way).
I think it is time that some of you begin thinking of amateur radio's best
interests instead how to keep someone else out of the hobby that you feel did
not expend the same energy as you. You must really feel bad when your friend
buys the same computer as you for $1,000.00 less a year later.  If we leave the
status quo,  amateur radio will die out as those of us who enjoy CW die out.
Probably sooner than you think.  I operate 99% CW because I enjoy it.  I
certainly do not expect any one else to share my interests.  I can continue to
operate CW as long as there is anyone else left who enjoys it.  There is
absolutely nothing in this proposal  that takes away from those of us who enjoy
CW.
Amateur radio has traditionally been valued by the government for, among other
things, its ability to develop equipment and methods on the leading edge of
technology.  This has not been the case in the recent years.  It never will be
again as long as we require future hams to spend endless hours perfecting an
antiquated communication technique as some sort of initiation rite.  Perhaps we
should all purchase a paddle of the type used in fraternities and establish
another initiation ceremony.
It all boils down to this:  If we don't keep amateur radio in step with the
times, it will die out just as many other institutions that valued tradition
over reality.  Remember, there are many out there who covet the frequencies that
we use, and are continuously, with a great deal of time and money, trying  to
convince the government that we are a waste of national resources.
This is my sole post regarding this issue, and although I expect to get many
Ken W7TS
Kenneth E.  Kinyon
34 Princeton Circle
Longmont, CO 80503-2106