[TenTec] portable power for Scout

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] portable power for Scout
From: millerm@merle.acns.nwu.edu (Michael L Miller)
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:08:20 -0500
Greetings!  This is my first question to the group.  I am greatly enjoying
my Scout, and wish to take it to the field.  In my shack, I hooked up a 9V 7
amp gel cell battery to the Scout -- I was able to run the Scout, but
immediately noticed loud clicking (I use a Nye Viking Master Key) on my
headphones when I keyed on 20 meters. (BTW I only run CW, not phone).
During the very next QSO, my contact informed me I had chirping -- it
disappeared, when I switched back to Ten Tec's power supply.
   Obviously, the problem was the low amperage from the battery not matching
the Scout's requirements.  Before I tried this battery, Gary from Ten Tec
support had told me of a mod I could do to lower the amperage from the Scout
to 2 amps, for QRP work.  However, I would rather not make the mod -- I
would rather get a portable power setup that operates at sufficient amperage
(and voltage) to avoid the chirping, and get out the same good signal as is
produced with Ten Tec's power supply for the Scout.

   So - my question to the group -- what portable power supplies (including
specs and vendors) have you had success with for the Scout, for use in the
field?

   Thanks!

73 de KG9ML
Mike