[TenTec] OMNI VI main tuning knob

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] OMNI VI main tuning knob
From: turner@safety.ics.uci.edu (Clark Savage Turner WA3JPG)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:32:06 -0700
Curious again....  I have had two OMNI VI's, had to sell the
first for food (well, for a computer that enabled me to get
food!) and then found this one so cheap I had to have it :-) .

I noticed in each of them, just a little play in the optical
encoder shaft, a bit of "wobble" and a few days ago someone
decried such movement as though it was not a feature, but a
bug.

I like a very tight tuning feel, and wonder if anyone else
noticed a very firm optical encoder tuning shaft, is there
any noticeable "wobble"?  If there are more than a few that
don't have it....I may be saving some dough to pick up a new
optical encoder so that I can have a more stable tuning knob.
Anyone ever buy one and know how much $ and how much trouble
to install?

Clark
WA3JPG