[TenTec] Wider SSB Filters For Omni VI

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Wider SSB Filters For Omni VI
From: DHHDEH@concentric.net (David H. Hammond)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 21:55:32 +0000
Hi Everyone,

I recently has a nice talk with the good folks at INRAD about the
possiblity of getting a small run of custom SSB filters for the Omni VI
at around 2.7 to 2.8khz.  They would need a special order of 10 to get a
run  from their supplier and would be willing to do this with
around 5 or 6 committments to buy ( guaranteed with a credit card).
Price would be somewhat higher than their standard price but not the
near the $850.00 I saw listed for a custom 3.1 khz pair here earlier.
WOW! Wonder why that guy was selling his?

Any takers?

Only one problem though.  Last time around on this topic a few months
ago, the good folks at TT informed me that wider bandwidth filters for
SSB would cause real performance problems with the Omni VI receiver.
Never did get a chance to find out what would happen though.

If someone wants to persue the definitive tech answer on this with TT, I
would then be happy to try to organize a possible special order with
INRAD.

Someone want to try to get the engineering concerns settled first?

Wider filters would introduce a more full fidelity transmit audio. Yes
at a cost of decreased receive selectivity but two 2.7's cascaded would
yield an effective bandwith of around 2.5 to the ear on receive. Not
bad, not bad.

So does someone want to pick up the ball? I'm willing to help out but
not to run point of this one.

73 de N1LQ-Dave