[TenTec] Contesting

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Contesting
From: chestert@pressroom.com (Chester Alderman)
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 1998 16:07:38 -0400
--=====================_18403960==_.ALT

>For some strange reason the OMNI-VI is not a favorite of
contesters.."

        (Un)fortunately that is quite true. When I operated the 80m
position at
W3LPL's contest station I, of course, took my Omni 6 with me and I can tell
you
it certainly was looked 'down' upon as a contest radio. My 80m partner was
using a TS-950SDX and we shared antennas, but about 20% of the time I had to
copy that weak DX call signs for him as he could not read them. Not only that,
when the 160m position was xmitting, he could not hear anything in the
TS-950SDX, while my Omni 6 was not affected at all. Even though we set a
station record for 80m during that CQ WW CW DX contest, TenTec gear was still
not looked upon as a 'quality' rig and most probably because most of LPL's
contest group had looked inside Corsair's and TenTec prior rigs. Looking
inside
the Omni 6 is quite a different story as we all know.

        Contesters also do not like to use the Icom IC-781, not only
because of
the huge RF spike that it puts out when being keyed, but because as I was
told,
"it has too many knobs and buttons". I now have a Yaesu FT-1000MP and as so
many folks on this reflector has told me, it's really poor for CW. I certainly
can not compete with most contesters in the antenna area, but I urge all
contesters ( except me, of course) to buy only FT-1000MP's for this upcoming
contest season as I know that will certainly give me a HUGE edge in the
transciever department at least, while I use my Omni 6+ with the model 221
(and
other) filter!!

Chester Alderman
Tom - W4BQF
chestert@pressroom.com

--=====================_18403960==_.ALT

that is quite true. When I operated the 80m position at W3LPL's contest
station I, of course, took my Omni 6 with me and I can tell you it
certainly was looked 'down' upon as a contest radio. My 80m partner was
using a TS-950SDX and we shared antennas, but about 20% of the time I had
to copy that weak DX call signs for him as he could not read them. Not
only that, when the 160m position was xmitting, he could not hear
anything in the TS-950SDX, while my Omni 6 was not affected at all. Even
though we set a station record for 80m during that CQ WW CW DX contest,
TenTec gear was still not looked upon as a 'quality' rig and most
probably because most of LPL's contest group had looked inside Corsair's
and TenTec prior rigs. Looking inside the Omni 6 is quite a different
story as we all know. </div>
also do not like to use the Icom IC-781, not only because of the huge RF
spike that it puts out when being keyed, but because as I was told,
&quot;it has too many knobs and buttons&quot;. I now have a Yaesu
FT-1000MP and as so many folks on this reflector has told me, it's really
poor for CW. I certainly can not compete with most contesters in the
antenna area, but I urge all contesters ( except me, of course) to buy
only FT-1000MP's for this upcoming contest season as I know that will
certainly give me a HUGE edge in the transciever department at least,
while I use my Omni 6+ with the model 221 (and other) filter!!</div>

Chester Alderman<br>
<b>Tom - W4BQF<br>
</u></html>