[TenTec] Omni 6+ worth it?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6+ worth it?
From: pinskeep@iglou.com (Peter Inskeep)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 10:32:04 -0500
Hi Rob & TenTec List,

Re: Your question on the Omni VI Plus vs. the Paragon:

I purchased a new Omni VI Plus this past June from the TT factory.  I have
been absolutely delighted with every aspect of its performance.  I did not
have a Paragon with which to compare it.  Rather, I replaced my trusty old
Delta 580 which had been my main rig for about 15 years.  Good as I
thought, and still think, the Delta is, I was amazed at the improvements in
what I can hear and what I can work with the Omni VI.  I also have had no
problems with clicks, chirps, squeeks or anything else along the way - as I
had no problems with my Delta before it - except when it was hit by
lightning (which was user repairable).

The DSP does wonders on cw when you press the "NR" button.  The desired
signal truly does leap out of the noise.

While I don't work much SSB, it was a most enjoyable experience to get into
the fray in this past weekend's CQWW SSB contest.  Usually I did not need
to cascade both the 9 mhz. and 6 mhz. 1.8k filters, but when I needed them,
they were there and they worked well.  I run dipoles on all bands and a
Lightning Bolt Quad that is only about 15 feet off the ground because I
don't yet have a tower for it.  With patience it seemed that I could work
most of what I heard. (Kentucky ain't exactly the best of DX locations,
either.).

I use an outboard Logikey keyer rather than the internal keyer, but I have
tried the internal keyer and it worked fine.  I just like the features and
memories of my Logikey.

I can't say enough nice things about the Omni VI Plus, but I'll stop.  I
can't give an opinion on the Omni vs. the Paragon, but I doubt that you
would ever regret having the Omni VI Plus.

Pete, NO2d
Pewee Valley, KY