[TenTec] Omni 6+ worth it?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni 6+ worth it?
From: AD4YH@aol.com (AD4YH@aol.com)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 17:46:11 EST

> Gentlmen,
>
>Your advice is requested concerning my possible upgrade from a Paragon
>to the Omni 6+. I enjoy the paragon, mine having the Geil upgrade and
filters.
>I also use a Nir-12 dsp unit. My concern is, with all the messages
>addressing the keying problems, would I really see an noticable increase in
>  performance? I do 80/20% Cw and use other receivers for swl.
>
>  Any inputs would be appreciated, especially considering what other pieces
>  of ham equipment that would have to go to finance this upgrade.

I have a Paragon II and operate 99% CW.  I use it in combination with one of
those MFJ 281 Clear Tone speakers.  The combination of the excellent
receiver in the Paragon and this speaker makes a winning combination.
You can slice a CW signal out of just about any qrm and qrn situation.

The speaker has a resonance at around 4 to 5 hunderd HZ. It literally makes
the signals jump out of the noise and qrm.  The Paragons have an excellent
dynamic range as well. That is to say that you can easily back off on the
rf gain to greatly reduce surrounding noise and qrm. If you run CW most of
the time, save your bux and get one of these speakers for around 9 dollars.

While the keying on the OMNI Six is not bad, the Paragons sound much better.
I have the keying waveform on mine adjusted to sound just like my old
OMNI D.....

Zut AD4YH /UP