[TenTec] Omni VI; what upgrades are now offered?

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI; what upgrades are now offered?
From: wb4huc@texas.net (Michael A. Newell)
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 1998 23:07:13 -0600
John (and anyone else who's interested):

I fired up the old UMAX Astra 1200S
document scanner and scanned in the
original letter that Ten Tec sent when they
announced the Option upgrades, and then
ran the OCR program to turn it into the
following text:

(ain't technology wonderful? now if we
could only feed our QSL cards into the
rigs and have them come out at the other
end...)

-----------Letter Follows------------------

Dear OM/YL:

We hope your OMNI-VI is serving you well and continues to hold a
position of honor in your
shack. No one ever accused TEN-TEC owners of being bashful and we
appreciate the letters and
phone calls with your ideas to further enhance the OMNI tradition.

We thought it fitting that present OMNI owners should be the first to
know of our plans as your
suggestions inspired these latest enhancements. March issues of both QST
and CQ will introduce
our new "OMNI-VI Plus", Model 564. The best news of all.., the new
features can be installed in
any OMNI-VI. More about that in a minute. Selling for $2585, the first
units will be ready for
shipment in early March.

We've added DSP NOISE REDUCTION controlled by a single button on the
front panel.
You can forget about those add-on DSP boxes.

The DSP LOW PASS filter is more versatile than before. No longer a menu
item usable
only in CW mode, now a dedicated front panel feature working on both SSB
and CW.
Even remembers a favorite setting for SSB and another for CW.

Requested by serious DXers and Contesters, we added another NARROW
filter position in
the 9 MHz I-F. A CW operator may install both a 500 Hz and a 250 Hz in
this I-F or one
CW filter and a 1.8 KHz for SSB.

We've made the menu system easier and faster to access by dividing the
one long menu into
three shorter menus.

You may now select favorite tuning speeds for MAIN tuning and RIT when
running SSB
and a separate set of tuning speeds for CW. Both sets are stored in
memory.

We offer three ways to upgrade the present OMNI-VI depending on your
personal operating preferences.

OPTION 1 - $75 Adds DSP noise reduction, moves DSP low pass filter to
front panel, upgrades
the menu and adds the new tuning speed feature. This modification is
easy to install yourself.
Simply replace the two socketed ICs on the logic board and affix 3
stickers on the keypad. You
may order by mail or phone at 800-833-7373. Before calling, please write
down the exact revision
number on the IC labeled "logic" currently in your rig. We must have
this number to assure we
send the correct new software. The serial number on the back panel of
the rig is not sufficient
information. The logic board is located on the top right side after
removing the top cover. We
request you return the two old ICs to us after installation of the new
ones. We estimate orders can
be ready to ship by March 7.

OPTION 2 - $125 This is a factory installation of Option 1 including
replacement of 9 buttons on
keypad in place of stickers on 3.

OPTION 3 - $275 This is a complete factory upgrade to OMNI-VI Plus.
Includes Option 2 in
addition to replacement of the 2 circuit boards and wiring harness
changes needed to provide the
new NARROW filter position in the 9 MHz I-F.

Please call 800-833-73 73 if you are interested in Option 2 or 3 and ask
to be put on the waiting list.
When sufficient customers (approximately 20-25) are found, we will get
back to you with a date to
return your rig. The transceiver will be here at TEN-TEC for about a
week. Please do not return an
OMNI until we advise it is time to do so. There is no charge for return
shipping to customers in the
continental US.

Options 2 and 3 will be offered for a limited time only, approximately 6
months. It is not practical
for our service department to provide them on an individual basis. Also,
these factory options are
too complicated to offer a kit for field installation.

Please don't hesitate to call if we can answer questions about the new
OMNI- VI Plus and we hope
one of the upgrade packages is right for your need.

Sincerely,

The Hams at TEN-TEC