[TenTec] Titan info

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Titan info
From: chestert@pressroom.com (Chester Alderman)
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 1998 19:53:52 -0500
--=====================_1887153==_.ALT

Hi Bob and congrats on getting your hands on a darned good amp. I've had mine
for seven years and other than having to replace vacuum relays often, it's
worked great for me. I typically wear out a vacuum relay a year, but then I'm
pushing the thing at greater than 60 wpm also.
Two thing's I recommend:
1)      Get in the habit of an annual cleaning. Take the top cover off and
use a
rather stiff paint brush and your XYL's vacuum and REALLY clean the dust/dirt
out of it. I go so far as removing the tubes and dusting the sockets and in the
chamber underneath the tubes. I also use a small brush and clean the vanes on
the fan. I also cut out small pieces of air conditioner foam and attach it to
the air intake louvers on each side of them amp, with several pieces of sewing
thread. During contest or extended periods of operating, I direct an external
fan on the power supply. All of this cleaning takes you about an hour a
year..but sure helps in keeping the air flow strong on the $400 a piece tubes!
2)      At ham fest, etc., look for some GOOD Jennings military type vacuum
relays. Buy SEVERAL of them and keep them handy.

Don't be afraid to run at 1500 watts output. I've done it many times on 80 mtrs
during the CQ WW DX contest. It just sits there and kicks tu-tu!

At 10:47 AM 11/9/98 -0500, you wrote:

>Greetings to all,
>
>I have recently aquired a Titan 425,and would appreciate any
>information,pointers,warnings,etc. I'm in the process of running a 220 v.
>line into the shack,so the day is coming to fire it up.
>
>Thanks in advance,direct reply is OK.
>
>Bob KA1DFO
>
>--

Chester Alderman
Tom - W4BQF
chestert@pressroom.com

--=====================_1887153==_.ALT

amp. I've had mine for seven years and other than having to replace
vacuum relays often, it's worked great for me. I typically wear out a
vacuum relay a year, but then I'm pushing the thing at greater than 60
wpm also.</div>
habit of an annual cleaning. Take the top cover off and use a rather
stiff paint brush and your XYL's vacuum and REALLY clean the dust/dirt
out of it. I go so far as removing the tubes and dusting the sockets and
in the chamber underneath the tubes. I also use a small brush and clean
the vanes on the fan. I also cut out small pieces of air conditioner foam
and attach it to the air intake louvers on each side of them amp, with
several pieces of sewing thread. During contest or extended periods of
operating, I direct an external fan on the power supply. All of this
cleaning takes you about an hour a year..but sure helps in keeping the
air flow strong on the $400 a piece tubes!</div>
etc., look for some GOOD Jennings military type vacuum relays. Buy
SEVERAL of them and keep them handy.</div>
on 80 mtrs during the CQ WW DX contest. It just sits there and kicks
tu-tu!</div>
any</div>
a 220 v.</div>
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
EUDORA=AUTOURL>http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm</a></div>
tentec@contesting.com</div>
tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com</div>
owner-tentec@contesting.com</div>