[TenTec] Computer Motherboard Clock Setting Question???

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Computer Motherboard Clock Setting Question???
From: aaron.hsu@unistudios.com (Hsu, Aaron)
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 13:53:34 -0800
Starting with the 80486DX/2 CPUs, the internal clock speed is a multiple of
the CPU clock speed, aka the CPUCLK speed.  The PCI slots are usually run at
33MHz, which is the CPUCLK divided by 2 or 3.  The ISA slots are usually run
at 8MHz (or there abouts), again determined by the CPUCLK divided by 8 or
12.  Most expansion cards are designed with 33MHz and 8MHz in mind.

Only recently did the 100MHz CPUCLK become available for Socket7.
Everything up until now was either 50MHz, 60MHz, or 66MHz CPUCLK.  So, a
Pentium-75 was 50MHz CPUCLK x 1.5; the CPU internally ran at 75MHz, and I/O
to and from the CPU ran at 50MHz.  P-100 is 66MHz x 1.5; P-133 is 66MHz x 2;
P-233 is 66MHz x 3.5; P-266 is 66MHz x 4, etc.

With the K6-300, the CPUCLK should be set to 100MHz FSB x 3.  If you don't
have a M/B that supports the 100MHz CPUCLK, then it should be set to 66MHz x
4.5.  You'll loose some speed due to the 66MHz I/O, but it'll work.  You
don't want to use 75MHz x 4 because it will throw off the PCI and ISA bus
speeds; remember, PCI is designed to run at 33MHz and ISA at 8MHz.

The dual 1.5/3.5 setting is most likely to save space on the M/B.  Only the
P75 and P90 used the 1.5x setting, and they're no longer manufactured.  The
other clock speeds of 55, 75, 83.3 are available for "overclocking", running
the M/B at non-standard speeds.  This is a cheap way of getting more
performance out of a processor.  Of course, you risk compatibility and
thermal related problems.  You can get more info about overclocking at
http://www.tomshardware.com or several other sites.  Tom's Hardware is a
great site for general info about motherboards, video cards, CPU's, etc.

Good luck.  Further discussion should be done via e-mail or on the BitBucket
reflector at QTH.NET.

73,

  - Aaron Hsu, KD6DAE
    .athsu.@unistudios.com