[TenTec] Omni VI plus on SSB

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI plus on SSB
From: promedia@itnet.com.pl (promedia)
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 09:34:09 +0100

--------------6B2BC51A3AD382DDCE70C6E0

Hi Joe,

thanks for a kind support in my wrath.
When I first received my paragon I experienced its major malfunction a
the first turn-on.
They replaced the control board later on but I had to pay quite a lot
for transportation.
When I get used to it I found the narrowing action of 250Hz filter
questionable.
Probably, most of users think it should work that way but it shouldn't -

so I contacted them on information what crystals are used there as I
wanted
to add two poles in the empty spaces at the filter boards to make them
both (500&250Hz) 8-pole instead 6-pole thus modifying them.
Do you know what they answered then?
They answered: we don't know anything on filters as we don't produce
them here.
OK - I thought and I modified them myself up to my needs. Up to
excellency.

By the way, let's see into the paragon or probably any other rig ten-tec
produced.
You find there PCBs coming as if from many hands, is if of many brands.
A friend wrote me the ten-tec problem is their "badly tuned soldering
irons"
or maybe
their problem is the items are produced separately, say, on nearby farms
and somehow
put together with a worse or better, but always unforeseeable, effect ?
Well, but it's what I know now...

Later on, yet, I decided to use computer control over the paragon.
Yes, I asked them for the board., but do you find it fair to send and
cash for the
thing you well know it cannot be used with anything because of its
incompatibility ??

Yes, it's quite a basket as someone wrote.

I signed to this reflector because paragon still suffers from the PA
malfunction,
and thought a message would show which might give some extra ideas.
Instead I found a bunch of self-complacent guys.
  Sorry, but it brings me back memory of a novel where half of the town
bought
the tickets to a bad spectacle and didn't want to warn the other one
fearing they
could become a county laughing stock.

As getting back to the title.
It's good to remember something before you start using the word legend.
The must contain some facts, otherwise it's better to say "a bad dream".

Yours,

Alec/SP2EWQ

J. Pursley wrote:

> [...]
>
> > Hi Bill,
> >
> > Unfortunately, it didn't work with me at all.
> > Since I bought my paragon 585 from them, I just stepped into an
> infinite
> > realm
> > of problems, costs and disappointment. I think the only reason I had
>
> > decided to buy a ten-tec,
> > at that time, was that legend. And I bought it new.
> > Alas, we cannot be fed by and live on a Legend.
> > Reality brought me ruthlessly back to Mother Earth and showed my
> > stupidity.
> >
> > The suggestions and information the ten-tec furnished me with, after
> > long course on
> > how to operate their fax-machine, were so extremely unproffesional
> that
> > one would
> > never believe they had ever touched anything electronic. No
> mentioning,
> > their "help"
> > reached me after I had to beg their president for it.
> >
> > It's happened recently.
> >
> > Further in the past, I mailed them my paragon's PA for the repair.
> They
> > kept it over 7 (seven)
> > months there and returned it as much faulty as it had been sent. You
>
> > should see the
> > invoice then....Of course, duly attached.
> > In the meantime, I contacted them several times
> > on whether they went bancrupt or so. "No" -they answered- "..we are
> > going strong with an
> > increasing sale".  The Legend's work it must have been... Nothing
> else.
> >
> > So, it's the history.
> > It still stands on my desk half working.
> > A symbol delivered by Reality - Legend's opponent, one could say.
> >
> > Anyway,
> > what is the final point?
> > The point is, think twice before you get involved with ten-tec...
> >
> > Yours,
> >
> > Alec/SP2EWQ
> >
> > Bill wrote:
> >
> > > Hello Alec,
> > > No Im not kidding about TenTecs's customer support.
> > >  ...the support that TenTec shows its customers is getting
> legendary.
>
> > > rados
> > > to sending them the parts to fix it themselves. Then if it has to
> be
> > > sent, they phone you to talk about things...When mine went in for
> the
> > > upgrades they called me and wrote me...They fixed the things that
> > > had
> > > asked to be repaired and there were no charges...
> > >  Its like giving your radio to your best friend to fix and he does
> it
> > > right away and smiles when he gives it back because he knows it
> makes
> > > you happy.
> > >  Now we understand they only need one technician to repair all the
>
> > > rigs
> > > ut there is amazing because their turnaround time is so fast for

<HTML>

<P>Hi Joe,

<P>thanks for a kind support in my wrath.
<BR>When I first received my paragon I experienced its major malfunction
a the first turn-on.
<BR>They replaced the control board later on but I had to pay quite a lot
for transportation.
<BR>When I get used to it I found the narrowing action of 250Hz filter
questionable.
<BR>Probably, most of users think it should work that way but it shouldn't
-
<BR>so I contacted them on information what crystals are used there as
I wanted
<BR>to add two poles in the empty spaces at the filter boards to make them
<BR>both (500&amp;250Hz) 8-pole instead 6-pole thus modifying them.
<BR>Do you know what they answered then?
<BR>They answered: <B>we don't know anything on filters as we don't produce
them here.</B>
<BR>OK - I thought and I modified them myself up to my needs. Up to excellency.

<P>By the way, let's see into the paragon or probably any other rig ten-tec
produced.
<BR>You find there PCBs coming as if from many hands, is if of many brands.
<BR>A friend wrote me the ten-tec problem is their "badly tuned soldering
irons"
<BR>or maybe
<BR>their problem is the items are produced separately, say, on nearby
farms and somehow
<BR>put together with a worse or better, but always unforeseeable, effect
?
<BR>Well, but it's what I know now...

<P>Later on, yet, I decided to use computer control over the paragon.
<BR>Yes, I asked them for the board., but do you find it fair to send and
cash for the
<BR>thing you well know it cannot be used with anything because of its
incompatibility ??

<P>Yes, it's quite a basket as someone wrote.

<P>I signed to this reflector because paragon still suffers from the PA
malfunction,
<BR>and thought a message would show which might give some extra ideas.
<BR>Instead I found a bunch of self-complacent guys.
<BR>&nbsp; Sorry, but it brings me back memory of a novel where half of
the town bought
<BR>the tickets to a bad spectacle and didn't want to warn the other one
fearing they
<BR>could become a county laughing stock.

<P>As getting back to the title.
<BR>It's good to remember something before you start using the word legend.
<BR>The must contain some facts, otherwise it's better to say "a bad dream".
<BR>&nbsp;

<P>Yours,

<P>Alec/SP2EWQ

<P>J. Pursley wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>Good show Alec.
<BR>I too find their smiling face a bit too much. A course in soldering
<BR>techniques would help. When I asked for alignment proceedures on Paragons
<BR>and Omni V's they all but laughed at me. When I provided a fix for
processor
<BR>noise on the Paragon they never responded so I sent it out on the internet
<BR>myself. My onmi VI came back from the phase 3 upgrade in worse condition
<BR>than it was when I sent it in. My requests for finding out why transmit
was
<BR>intermittent went unnoticed. I fixed it myself as well as the fix I
made
<BR>when they could not figure out why my paragon went ballistic at times.
(they
<BR>forgot to solder the bias pot on the final, it was an intermittent
<BR>mechanical connection.) I do all repairs myself from now on.....Joe

<P>promedia wrote:

<P>> Hi Bill,
<BR>>
<BR>> Unfortunately, it didn't work with me at all.
<BR>> Since I bought my paragon 585 from them, I just stepped into an infinite
<BR>> realm
<BR>> of problems, costs and disappointment. I think the only reason I
had
<BR>> decided to buy a ten-tec,
<BR>> at that time, was that legend. And I bought it new.
<BR>> Alas, we cannot be fed by and live on a Legend.
<BR>> Reality brought me ruthlessly back to Mother Earth and showed my
<BR>> stupidity.
<BR>>
<BR>> The suggestions and information the ten-tec furnished me with, after
<BR>> long course on
<BR>> how to operate their fax-machine, were so extremely unproffesional
that
<BR>> one would
<BR>> never believe they had ever touched anything electronic. No mentioning,
<BR>> their "help"
<BR>> reached me after I had to beg their president for it.
<BR>>
<BR>> It's happened recently.
<BR>>
<BR>> Further in the past, I mailed them my paragon's PA for the repair.
They
<BR>> kept it over 7 (seven)
<BR>> months there and returned it as much faulty as it had been sent.
You
<BR>> should see the
<BR>> invoice then....Of course, duly attached.
<BR>> In the meantime, I contacted them several times
<BR>> on whether they went bancrupt or so. "No" -they answered- "..we are
<BR>> going strong with an
<BR>> increasing sale".&nbsp; The Legend's work it must have been... Nothing
else.
<BR>>
<BR>> So, it's the history.
<BR>> It still stands on my desk half working.
<BR>> A symbol delivered by Reality - Legend's opponent, one could say.
<BR>>
<BR>> Anyway,
<BR>> what is the final point?
<BR>> The point is, think twice before you get involved with ten-tec...
<BR>>
<BR>> Yours,
<BR>>
<BR>> Alec/SP2EWQ
<BR>>
<BR>> Bill wrote:
<BR>>
<BR>> > Hello Alec,
<BR>> > No Im not kidding about TenTecs's customer support.
<BR>> >&nbsp; ...the support that TenTec shows its customers is getting
legendary.
<BR>> > >From experts walking the hams through procedures to fix their
own
<BR>> > rados
<BR>> > to sending them the parts to fix it themselves. Then if it has
to be
<BR>> > sent, they phone you to talk about things...When mine went in for
the
<BR>> > upgrades they called me and wrote me...They fixed the things that
<BR>> > had
<BR>> > asked to be repaired and there were no charges...
<BR>> >&nbsp; Its like giving your radio to your best friend to fix and
he does it
<BR>> > right away and smiles when he gives it back because he knows it
makes
<BR>> > you happy.
<BR>> >&nbsp; Now we understand they only need one technician to repair
all the
<BR>> > rigs
<BR>> > ut there is amazing because their turnaround time is so fast for
most
<BR>> > repairs.
<BR>> > Bill W2CQ
<BR>> >
<BR>> > --
<BR>> > FAQ on
WWW:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<A
HREF="http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm";>http://www.contesting.com/tentecfaq.htm</A>
<BR>> >
Submissions:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
tentec@contesting.com
<BR>> > Administrative requests:&nbsp; tentec-REQUEST@contesting.com
<BR>> >
Problems:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
owner-tentec@contesting.com
<BR>> >
Search:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
<A
HREF="http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm";>http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm</A>
[...]
HREF="http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm";>http://www.contesting.com/km9p/search.htm</A></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;&nbsp;</HTML>